The New Theatre was built and opened in 1911. It later was owned and operated by the Malco company as a movie theater. In the mid-1980s, a developer stripped it of most of the interior features. Seen here is the North 10th Street entrance. Above it, the name "Sparks" is written in the masonry because the theater's construction was financed by the George T. Sparks trust fund for his family.