The New Theatre was built and opened in 1911. It later was owned and operated by the Malco company as a movie theater. In the mid-1980s, a developer stripped it of most of the interior features. Seen here is the North 10th Street entrance. Originally, the New was used for live performances and film exhibition. Dressing rooms were beneath the stage, but those spaces were filled in with poured concrete. Opera box balcony seats once flanked the side walls.