Courtesy of Don Marquette
In 1885, the "old Belle Point School " was erected at South Ninth and Wheeler. In 1886, on the "old Belle Grove site", a new school; was erected which served as the Fort Smith High School until 1897. On january 11,1898, the school was only three months old when a cyclone almost totally destroyed it. The chimneys collapsed almost demolishing the buildings front exterior, and the roof was completely blown away. The classes were once again removed to Belle Grove as the restoration was completed rather quickly.