|Courtesy of the Girard Collection
The houses of Fort Smith's Row lined North First Street circa 1900 and provided space for the city's legal and regulated prostitution businesses. Outside the Row, the activity was still illegal in Fort Smith. Inside the Row, it enjoyed legal status from 1907 to 1924 with madams and prostitutes paying monthly license fees and undergoing regular health inspections. Notice "Miss Laura's," the third building from the left and the only Row house that still stands today. See the original view of downtown Fort Smith from which this image was taken.