Section 4 of this 1894 map of Fort Smith depicts the layout, streets and landmarks of what was then east central Fort Smith. Features of note are the eastern city limit line along North 21st Street/Lucy Street. Rogers Avenue was even then an important traffic artery although it was called Little Rock Avenue. Streets such as North B and C streets, etc., still bear their arboreal names — Mulbery, Sycamore and others. It was around this time that the city changed them to letter streets.