The New Theatre was built and opened in 1911. It later was owned and operated by the Malco company as a movie theater. In the mid-1980s, a developer stripped it of most of the interior features. Seen here is the North 10th Street entrance. Originally, the New was used for live performances and film exhibition. Floor seats were for the white audience and the top balcony for blacks until the theater was integrated in the 1960s.